In today’s news roundup we update the teams injuries, including star midfielder Benny Feilhaber. Roger Espinoza and Soni Mustivar are called up for international duty.
The Vancouver Whitecaps get a suspension for a tackle on Espinoza. Amobi Okugo could be on the move. We finish the countdown for the 20 Sporting Kansas City seasons, worst to best. And a lot more.
Injury Updates for Sporting KC
For a team that has gone 2-0 to start the MLS season, Sporting KC are sure banged up. Justin Mapp has been out with a turf toe. Ike Opara has a hamstring injury. Benny Feilhaber and Brad Davis are dealing with muscle issues. Seth Sinovic missed the first game with a neck strain.
That’s a lot of ailments, yet the team has found ways to win. The Kansas City Star has an update on 2015 MVP candidate, Benny Feilhaber. While he appears to be recovering, he could still miss Sunday’s game against Toronto FC. Sporting have a bye the following week, so it may be worth not risking Benny so early in the season. The Star reports that Jordi Quintilla and Chance Myers were full participants after picking up knocks against Vancouver. The MLS injury report also lists Paula Nagamura as still dealing with a leg strain.
Whitecaps Player Suspended for Tackle on Espinoza
The MLS Disciplinary Committee has come down on Vancouver midfielder Kianz Froese with a one game suspension (and a fine) for his violent tackle on Roger Espinoza. Watching it live it seemed back, watching it again really shows how bad it was. It gave me flashbacks to Espinoza’s season ending injury in 2015, except the tackle that caused that injury was from the front. Kudos to MLS for getting this right.
International Call Ups: Roger Espinoza and Soni Mustivar
Both Espinoza and Mustivar are being called up for their countries, Honduras and Haiti respectively, ahead of another round of 2018 World Cup Qualifiers. Both countries are without a win so far in CONCACAF qualifying. Honduras will play El Salvador and Haiti will play Panama. Both need to pick up some points, and likely at least one win, if they hope to continue on.
As for how this will affect Sporting KC, the short answer is it shouldn’t. These games will occur during the bye week after Sunday’s game with Toronto. Even if they don’t prevail, lets hope both players at least come out of the games healthy. They will each play a home and away game against their respective opponents.
More from Reporting KC
Bill DeWitt III on St Louis MLS Expansion
St Louis Cardinal President, Bill DeWitt III, went on the radio to talk about a range of things, including bringing a MLS team to St Louis. DeWitt is a member of a committee trying to get the MLS to St Louis. When asked why St Louis (a very soccer rich city) hasn’t yet gotten a team:
“I think it’s been because we haven’t really identified an owner in town who has all those elements put together, whether it’s the net worth, the passion or the time to put it all together. I think that’s what this committee is all about.”
That would seem to confirm that the committee, which is full of St Louis sports people, aren’t looking to own the team themselves. The sooner they can identify an ownership group the sooner they can look to face their natural cross-state rivals in Kansas City.
- Sporting KC finished ranking their seasons from best to worst (or worst to best I guess). Here are 15-11, 10-6 and 5-1. Agree or disagree?
- Former Sporting KC man Amobi Okugo is training with DC United. No contract yet but he couldn’t do worse for them than he did for SKC last year.
- A nice story about Children’s Mercy’s partnership with SKC.
- Dom Dwyer is very important to this team. I feel like a really smart guy wrote that same piece three weeks ago.
- MLS teams in the Copa Libertadores? Sounds good as long as it’s not during preseason.
- The Montreal Impact are this good without Didier Drogba? Well they may be getting better as soon as this weekend.
- US Soccer release their new kits. The white is alright but I don’t care for the black ones. When compared historically they could have done a lot worse. I do miss the plain red and white stripes.
In Case You Missed It
- I broke the internet when I said the MLS is the best league in the world. Oops!
- A Sporting KC-centric look back at Week 2 in MLS.
- We talk to a Toronto FC site, TorontoReds.com, about the upcoming game between SKC and TFC.
- Key Match-ups between Sporting and Toronto.
- Four podcasts (about soccer) that you should be listening to.
- Getting to know new Designated Player Diego Rubio.