Roger Espinoza travels to Honduras, Becky Sauerbrunn is up for player of the year and Aurelien Collin traded again plus much more.
In today’s news roundup Roger Espinoza returns to Honduras in a cool look behind the scenes of his country. Becky Sauerbrunn is nominated for World Player of the Year. Aurelien Collin gets traded again. Highlights of Sporting KC and Swope Park Ranger games and much more.
In case you missed it we have the recap of the Sporting Kansas City draw with the Vancouver Whitecaps (and the match ratings). A recap of the unfortunate defeat of the Swope Park Rangers by the USL Whitecaps. Jordi Quintilla got loaned out to the Rangers. And we show that Soni Mustivar is possibly the most important player on SKC.
Roger Espinoza Returns Home
Espinoza made a trip back to Honduras that we’ve discussed before. It’s an interesting look back at the life he had before coming to the United States. The video is in Spanish but subtitled, so I’d watch it twice so all the reading doesn’t interfere with the imagery.
Highlights and Behind the Scenes of SKC and SPR
First, if you want the highlights (though I know you already watched the games) you can check out Sporting Kansas City versus the San Jose Earthquakes or versus the Vancouver Whitecaps. However, I recommend going behind the scenes of the San Jose game, since it has footage you’ve likely not seen yet.
You also may be interested in post game comments from Peter Vermes, Alec Kann and Saad Abdul-Salaam. Plus we have the highlights of the Swope Park Rangers versus the Vancouver Whitecaps 2 including an amazing game winning goal.
Becky Sauerbrunn up for World Player of the Year
Only five players made the finals of the second annual BBC Women’s World Player of the Year. Becky Sauerbrunn has made the list. This is great news since Sauerbrunn is often overlooked despite her consistently amazing defensive performances. She is joined by the recently injured Carli Lloyd, Amandine Henry, Kim Little and Gaelle Enganamouit. You can vote for Becky. Journalists will also get the vote. The winner will be revealed on May 24, 2016.
Former Sporting KC Center Back, Aurelien Collin, Traded
Aurelien Collin is on the move for the second time in just over a year. Collin was initially traded away from Sporting Kansas City after the 2014 season because he wanted a big raise and the math didn’t work for Sporting KC. He was dearly missed in 2015 when Ike Opara went down with an injury and Kevin Ellis was forced to switch positions.
He moved to Orlando City for almost nothing. The deal became for Jalil Anibaba and he has since been released from SKC. Now Collin has been moved again by Orlando City, this time to the New York Red Bulls. This trade was just for a fourth round draft pick, which in MLS means nothing (the third and fourth round picks for SKC didn’t even make the Swope Park Rangers roster). On top of that, Orlando will still pay about half of his $500,000 salary.
More from Reporting KC
I’ve heard some wishing Sporting KC would have been on the other end of that trade. I wouldn’t mind having Collin back, but $250,000 is still a lot of money for a player that is likely fourth on the depth chart (behind Besler, Coelho and Opara). It’s arguable he’d be above Opara, but I wouldn’t put him there, no matter how good he used to be for us. Best of luck to AC78.
- The history of the Swope Park Ranger name.
- Jair Marrufo has a history against Sporting KC. They have the worst record in his games than any other MLS referee ever. Crazy.
- Orlando’s Cyle Larin could be headed to Europe for a big transfer fee.
- SKC have fallen to 8th in the MLS Power Rankings.
- MLS teams with less than eight points in seven games are in trouble (historically speaking). Thankfully SKC are on the right side of that math.
- US Soccer says USWNT make only 22 percent less than men. Uhhh, I guess that’s better than the 76 cent to one dollar national average??
- The Kansas City Wizards made two appearances on the worst commercials of the last 20 years for MLS.
- As if we didn’t know, Dom Dwyer should have had a PK on that tackle in the SJ game. On top of that, Andres Imperiale should have been red carded for an even earlier play in that same game. Two chances to put SJ to 11 men and Maruffo missed them both.
- The USL announce a partnership with ESPN. The Rangers are snubbed for now but there are 14 more games to be announced before the end of the year.